Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Ice, Yarn & Hot Meals

Just got back from the New Years Ice Festival at State College, First Night. It was another fun year of venturing the cold, checking out the town with friends, and lots of ice carving =).


My friend Cory came up the first day. Now because it felt like a weekend, I may get all the days wrong, but I believe she came up Monday, and I drove up Sunday afternoon. I got in just in time for Sunday super. Monday was a big set up day for building blocks, and carving the piggy bank, wishing well, and ice slide.


There it is! That slide is lots of fun. The kids mainly ride it, but the adults should so take advantage, it is a ton of fun.

Cory and I also got to check out a local yarn shop and picked up some yarn. The project I'm working on is kind of a secret, but I'll so a picture anyway ;-)


With no written pattern, I am just doing a copy cat of what I see in this pattern. I think it's adorable and super simple, yet still interesting enough to look at. I also made sure to get yarn that can go into the washer & dryer. That is important for the type of blanket I am making... I just kind of gave it away, but the pattern does anyway. Haha

I'm working on a few other projects but my hands do not move fast enough for how fast I want to knit and give the knitted items. I started Handsome's socks and I needed to rip them out and start again. I am too loose of a knitter and I would prefer my socks fit, so I understand making them fit him. Just all that time knitting them and ripped it all out. It was fun to knit, but sad to rip out :-P

Now these hot meals, they are wonderful. I made Chicken and Rice for dinner Sunday night after a long night of grocery shopping. It wasn't long because I hadn't gone grocery shopping since before Christmas, but because it was a Sunday and today, the day I got a snow day off from work (or should I call it a cold day off?), it is below 0 degrees. It's currently -3 degrees out. But the mad rush of everyone shopping and why it took so long was because the store was out of EVERYTHING and so I had to go to another and they were low on things too! I was just shopping for food because I hadn't in so long. Everyone else was because they were stocking up for the polar vortex.

Anyway, I like packing lunches so I packed a salad and the leftover chicken and rice for Monday. Made for dinner last night a carrot cream soup and eggplant parmesan. If you have read this blog before, you know I tried this carrot soup before. Well my mother got me an immersion blender for Christmas and it worked wonderfully. I also cooked the carrots to become very very tender. It was actually good this time. I was so proud of myself. Then The eggplant parm was delicious, as it always is ;-).

Thus far today I have made a smoothie from Pioneer Woman's, A Year of Holidays. I made the purple one. It's pretty good. I did spill it already but it also took a while because everything was so cold and I have a cheap blender... Haha, not the immersion blender, a regular blender. I let it rest a while to warm up, then it smoothied right out ;-) see what I did there?

Well with this lovely time to myself, I will continue to knit and drink my smoothie. I haven't really disrupted Luna's day. She is as happy as a clam napping everywhere, hehe.

Stay warm my East Coast Friends!

<3 Carly

No comments: