Tuesday, July 3, 2007

San Diego <<33

Well, let me just say that San Diego was AMAZING! I loved it, and helping everyone while getting to know everyone in my groups, it was just the best thing. We got to really get to know everyone there. By the end of the week you knew everyone, not only the people in your church group, or your Saved by the Bell group, or just your site people, you knew them all! Even the ones outside your youth group. I got some really sweet new friends. I get to talk to them on facebook {they live in Kansas}. Heather, I now know why it is so hard to leave a place like that. I really miss it! I got to go to La Jolla, SOOO beautiful. And the Zoo~ Which was really tiring, but still really sweet. I got a little stuffed animal husky, and named him Diego, :) . My favorite quote from the whole trip~ "Stop it." From my Kelly Koplaski girls! We were split into groups of Saved by the Bell, AC Slater, Screech, Mr. Belding, etc. It was neat- There were the 4 really cool directors from Youth Works. This guy, David, was probably 6'6'' or 6'7''. No lie. Then there was Shantai, who was just the best at giving the sermon's at club {our nightly get together}. Then there was Hannah and Colt who were really awesome and always told us how great it was to help out at our sites.

The two sites I got to go to were the best! Obviously cuz I was there, just kidding. We just really got to help out and it really felt like we made a difference. It was hard to leave San Diego, but I think it was harder saying good-bye to all the kids we helped out for the whole week. One of the girls in the morning shift, which was a HeadStart program-basically a preschool for underprivileged kids & their parents can't afford anywhere else; when we all got in line for hugs, she told me "I don't want you to go, I'll miss you too much." I seriously had to hold in my tears. She was so honest and I will always miss Korinia. We are going to write to them, which is a little reassuring for me- but I wish we could have stayed longer. They never have anything constant, and I just felt like another disappointment for the week. They have new volunteers every week. I wish we could have stayed at least two or something, just for the constant relationship for them. They needed it. But I am glad we had the time we did to help them.

The afternoon was really neat too. We got to go to this gym, Lord's Fitness. We got to do little workouts with the kids, ages 5-14, and they loved it. I got to take two hip-hop classes with all the girls, but best of all, I got to TEACH two of their dance classes! They actually enjoyed it too! It was really fun, and the guy encharge, Eric, was most definatly the coolest guy to run this place. So layed back but so together with his work. Honestly, he had it together, even though some things needed help, he just went with the flow to fix them.

After our shifts at our 2nd site of the day, we all waited in the parking lot of Lord's Fitness to take our showers. There were only 5 showers, and my group was already working there. Then why did we go last everyday??? Because the girls from AC Slater always finished at their site too early and we were always last. Sure there were only 5 girls in our group, but who cares, we were their before AC, which makes no sense, cuz we were there right after lunch. We arrived at 1 or 1:10 every day to Lord's. They should've let us go first. {It wasn't Eric who decided these, he would have let Kelly girls go first, it was Colt, he did it very unorganized, which buged us. But we did, ok just me, play Frisbee while we waited. Which was really cool.}

So after showers we all went back to New Life and got ready for dinner. There were crews for each meal except lunch, you made lunch while you ate breakfast. We had free time in the mean while, which was the time where I got to catch up with my new Kansas buds. We did stomp and braiding hair. It was really fun. I actually have bruises from the stomp, but trust me, it was really fun, and just had to be done. :) OHHH!!!! Did anyone see The Last Mimzy?? Well, I haven't yet, but the little boy, Chris O'Neal, WE GOT TO MEET! He went to the Mission Trip! It was really cool~ sweet little boy too. He actually cared about his religion and got into the discussions in club. He was in my group twice during club. He also did stomp with us; and actually got pretty good! I'll show you guys how sweet it is on Friday, if we can find a place to go! :/

Well, I know Heather is wondering where all these beautiful pictures are of San Diego and beloved Carly. Did I get those confused... No. :) Well, As you know, my camera is worthless now, so we took the churches and my youth director is going to burn me a CD and you will see many once he passes those out. I'll also tell more stories when I get those, cuz it's easier to do that. + more entertaining. <<33 Miss San Diego, But gladd I have my OWN BED!!!! :)

2 comments:

Celtic Queen said...

Glad to have you back. And the Celtings and I got to see The Last Mimsy. I'll have to share with them that you met the boy.

Heather said...

Welcome home... glad that you had a great time. *sigh* and yes, you are beloved. :)